Frequently Asked Questions: This page contains answers to common questions of students and parents.
Why would you visit your Guidance Counselor?
Generally: If you need help! Your counselor can assist you with:
- problem solving
- goal setting
- getting organized (Use your Reminder Binder!)
- mediating conflicts (bullying, issues with friends)
- course selection for next year/scheduling
- discuss with parents and teachers about academic progress
- counsel students individually and in groups
- discuss ways to meet people and get involved
When can you visit your Guidance Counselor?
Immediately, with your teachers permission, if you are having an emergency or crisis
- Make an appointment by stopping by Guidance
- During Lunch or Work Study
Can I pick up assignments if my son or daughter is absent?
- If a student is absent for one day, he or she should call a buddy from each
class to find out the work that was missed.
If a student is absent for two or more days, parents can call the Guidance
Department at (516) 434-7362 and request work. It's best to call in the
morning so we can coordinate with the teachers and have the work available
for pick-up in the afternoon.